Tuesday, July 10

Beauty comes from within.


Hello Loves
Today I thought I would dedicate a post to healthy living
There are many factors that contribute to our overall well being. Today however, I want to focus more so on the benefits that healthy living can have on your body, particularly our skin. Beautiful skin begins more or less with a healthy lifestyle. Although heredity plays a significant role in terms of how our skin looks, ages and so on, some basic steps to look after your self (such as eating right, exercising, limiting alcohol and caffeine intake, getting sufficient sleep, and staying hydrated) can work to combat any skin problems and improve the overall appearance of your skin.
Nutrition is a big contributing factor to good looking skin, as it provides your body with the vitamins and minerals it depends on in order to replace dead cells on the surface of your skin. Fruit and Vegetables are our 'beauty vitamins'. Vitamins A,C and E are essential to for healthy skin. Vitamin A works to prevent early signs of ageing. It contains the antioxidant required for the renewal and growth of new skin cells.Vitamin A rich foods include egg yolks and dairy products. Vitamin C promotes clarity and are also considered to be the building blocks of collagen, a properties that is protein rich and gives skin it's structure and elasticity. Vitamins C rich foods are citrus fruits, broccoli, berries and tomatoes. Vitamins E protects the skin from harsh environmental conditions e.g pollution. It contains antioxidants that work to build and maintain healthy skin tissue. Foods rich in Vitamin E include leafy greens, nuts and whole grains.  
Remember all Vitamins are beneficial for achieving healthy skin. 
In order to obtain all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients our skin needs, we need to increase the servings of fruit and veges we have in a single day. 5+ a day is a good goal to aim for, though the more the better. Food is the best way to receive our vitamins as they are more natural and are absorbed into the blood faster (juiced in particular), as opposed to supplements, in the form of capsule or powder. For me personally, I find that juicing my fruit and vegetables to be the best way for me to get my recommended 5-10 serves. Naturally I'm a big fruit and vege eater, but when the weathers cold and you're lazing around all day, it's hard to be motivated to eat healthy, when its so easy to reach for the junk. 
My family and I have really been into juicing recently! Its so easy and my body has really been thanking me for it. I've never had terrible skin, but as of late my skin has been looking so clear and had a nice glow to it. My nails have gotten noticeably stronger, and my hair has been looking much healthier. Not to mention, long gone are the cravings for sugary junk! Hurrah!
I was inspired by Annie after watching a video she posted to YouTube on juicing, you can check it out here
When it comes to my own juicing, I love to drink juice made from organic fruits; specifically apples, pears, carrots, ginger, orange and a leaf of silver beet. 
Juicing allows you to get creative with seasonal fruits and experiment with different fruits and vegetables to find the perfect combination.
Our Juicer
(This model is the Breville BJE820XL dual disk juice processor)

Carrot, pear, apple, silver beet, slice of raw ginger and orange
(all theses fruits produced a cup and a half of juice)

Transformation. All fibre and pulp is removed to a bucket, located at the back of the juicer, leaving you with the vitamin and mineral plentiful juice.

My juice!!
Not exactly the most attractive drink, but looks are deceiving, it was in fact mouth watering!
So there we go. Juicing is as easy as that, 5 servings in one glass. 
(Sorry for the crappy quality of the photos, I took some sneaky pics on my iPod)

Hope you're having a happy day!
H XO

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Lot's of info xx

    please follow: http://meine-schadenfreude.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, This is fabulous! And infact, after reading your blog and looking at your 'sneaky' photo's I feel inspired to start including fresh juice into my diet each day. A great way to include 5+ for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete