Saturday, February 9

How to: clean makeup brushes.

Hi Gals, I've decided to start a new segment on my blog - the how to files. Every so often I'll offer advice on how I carry out anything beauty or lifestyle related. If you have any recommendations on posts you would like to see featured on this blog, then be sure to leave a comment. Now getting right into it...

For us makeup fanatics, makeup brushes are essentially the tools of our trade. As I'm sure you'll be aware, it's of significance that they are maintained in a manner that will promote longevity and cleanliness. We wouldn't get down and dirty (with our hands!!) then apply our makeup without ensuring they were sparkly clean! The same applies with brushes. Personally, I wear makeup five if not six days of the week, as it's required  for beauty school, therefore I try and schedule the time to wash my brushes once a week (any more than that would be slightly excessive - ultimately, over washing brushes can have an adverse effect). I like to make this process as simple and pain free as possible. Cleaning brushes doesn't require horrendously priced brush cleaners, as matter of fact baby shampoo, a gentle body/shower gel, or an anti-bacterial hand wash will suffice. The process consists of several easy and straight forward steps that will leave your brushes looking brand spanking new. 

Step 1: Dampen the bristles of the brush by holding under a constant stream of tepid water (tepid - think of goldilocks and the three bears, not too hot or not too cold). It's of importance that you clean your brushes under a running tap and opposed to in a cup/bowl of water, as over time if you are constantly emerging the entirety of the brush in warm-hot water it may cause the glue to break down, thus resulting in excess shedding bristles!

Step 2: Now that the bristles are damp, take a small amount of your chosen cleaning product* squeeze it into the palm of your hand (I use Lush's snow fairy shower gel, nothing beats the sugary sweet smell of candy floss scented brushes to bring you to your senses first thing in the morning!). Using small circular motions, coat the brush head. You may begin to see the colour of product from your brush on you hand, that's when you know it's time for step 3!

Step 3: Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, once the water runs clear, and there is no remaining product visible, you know it's a job well done.

Step 4: Lay all clean brushes out on a fluffy hand towel for half an hour, you can then move them to an upright position to ensure all bristles dry in the correct formation and shape.
And that's a wrap, you now have squeaky clean brushes. 

*If you have highly sensitive skin, or acne prone skin, I would highly recommend using a gentle fragrance free or non comedogenic facial cleanser in place of a shampoo or body wash, as it is less likely to irritate or cause un-necessary breakouts!

For those of you who may be intrested, I'm wearing Mecca's cassandra on my nails.
(brushes featured are real techniques and napoleon perdis. I brought all my real techniques brushes from Here and NP brushes can be brought online Here)

P.S I have added links to all the social media outlets you can find me on, if you fancy a little look. All you have to do is click the corresponding icon! If you do check them out, then be sure to follow me for updates on my blog!

Holly X

No comments:

Post a Comment